In addition to lighting a tree in your own home for the holidays, there are public tree lighting ceremonies. Some are coupled with musical performances. Some, like the tree lighting at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York City, air on television.
Levittown, Wantagh and Seaford have numerous tree lighting ceremonies scheduled in the next week. A list is posted below:
When: Saturday, Dec. 3 at 5:30 p.m.
Where: 15 Copper Ln, Levittown
- The ninth annual tree lighting, run by Jim, Kathy and Shannon Schupbach, will include raffles, with all proceeds donated to the Make A Wish Foundation.
Seaford Fire Department Tree Lighting
When: Saturday, Dec. 3 at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Headquarters, Waverly Avenue and Southard Avenue, Seaford
- 38th annual tree lighting ceremony.
Wantagh Chamber of Commerce Holiday Lighting
When: Sunday, Dec. 4, 3 p.m.
Where: Triangle Park, Wantagh (near )
- For Christmas and Hanukkah.
Levittown Chamber of Commerce Holiday Tree Lighting
When: Monday, Dec. 5, 5:30 p.m.
Where: , Levittown
- Three school groups will perform and Santa Claus will visit. U.S. Marine Corps will be collecting Toys for Tots. Donations of unwrapped toys and non-perishable food items and toiletries will be gratefully accepted.
When: Tuesday, Dec. 6, 4 p.m.
Where: 1 Washington St, Hempstead (Town Hall)
- Join Supervisor Kate Murray and members of the Hempstead Town Board for the annual lighting of the town's Christmas Tree, Menorah and Kinara. Refreshments will be served. Outdoor event, please dress accordingly.
Island Trees "Light the Night"
When: Sunday, Dec. 11, 5 p.m.
Where: Starts at community member's homes, ends at Island Trees Memorial Middle School
- Not a tree-lighting ceremony, but similar; The Island Trees School District is asking its residents to line luminaries along the edge of their property to celebrate pride and unity in the community. "Light the Night" kits can be purchased from the PTA for $10, with all proceeds going to raise a money for a new electric sign for the Island Trees Memorial Middle School.