students and faculty were evacuated for just over an hour early Wednesday afternoon to investigate a bomb threat found inside the building.
Following a police investigation inside the building, students and faculty were deemed safe to return to classes at 1:20 p.m. The students and faculty stayed in the bleachers of the Seaford High School football field during the evacuation.
Seaford Superintendent of Schools Brian Conboy said the bomb threat was discovered written on the wall of the building’s upstairs bathroom at around 12:15 p.m. The threat stated, “bomb is inside the gym”, Conboy said.
The police investigation prior to allowing a re-entering into the high school included a sweep with a canine unit. Conboy praised how well students and faculty handled the roughly hour-long evacuation.
“The cooperation that we received from the students was outstanding as was the assistance from our faculty,” said Conboy.
Wednesday was the second false bomb threat at Seaford High School in the last year. On Oct. 19, 2010, a written bomb threat was also discovered on the wall of a bathroom at Seaford High School. During last year’s bomb threat, a shelter drill was performed with all students placed in the high school's gymnasium.