Over the next several weeks, there will be a number of community forums taking place in the local area to address neighborhood concerns on a variety of issues.
The meetings, hosted by Nassau County Legis. Dave Denenberg, D-Merrick, will provide residents an opportunity to be informed and ask questions.
Community Policing and Quality of Life Issues: Sept. 6, 7:30 p.m. at the
- Denenberg hosts a meeting on community policing and quality of life issues. Guests include Commanding Officer Studdert and Deputy Inspector Mullane of the First and Seventh Precincts of the Nassau County Police Department. The police will discuss the upcoming precinct consolidation, recent burglaries, staffing, crime, traffic enforcement, neighborhood issues, problem oriented policing and the goals of law enforcement. Most of the meeting is reserved for questions and answers.
Taxpayer Assistance Program: Sept. 7, 1 p.m. at the Merrick Library; Oct. 5, 1 p.m. at the .
- Leg. Denenberg presents a taxpayer assistance program to learn about tax exemptions and to pick up or drop off applications for the STAR (School Tax Reduction), Enhanced STAR, Senior Citizens’, Veterans’, Cold War Veterans’, Limited Income and Disability, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT and Home Improvement exemptions. Exemption specialists will provide assistance and answer questions.
West Nile Virus, Mosquito Control, and Other Health Concerns: Sept. 12, 7:30 p.m. at the Freeport Library.
- Mosquito season is here. Denenberg, County Executive Edward Mangano and Nassau County Health Department Commissioner Dr. Lawrence Eisenstein present a forum to discuss and respond to questions regarding mosquito control, West Nile Virus and appropriate health and safety measures for you and your family. Dr. Eisenstein will also answer questions regarding other health concerns.
Free Breast Cancer Screenings: Sept. 25, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the
- The mammography van will be in our district this month. State-of-the-art equipment is used and operated by the Nassau Health Care Corporation’s first-rate staff. The mammograms are no-cost to uninsured women over 40. If you have health insurance, you must bring a prescription for the mammography from your doctor. If you are uninsured, there will be no charge. You are required to show photo ID at the time of the mammogram. If you have not had a mammography through Nassau Health Care Corp., you must bring your prior films to this appointment. To make an appointment, please call Dave Denenberg’s office at 571-6219. Appointments are required.
MTA Long Island Railroad and Service: Oct. 16, 7:30 p.m. at the
- Leg. Denenberg presents a forum with MTA Long Island Railroad (LIRR) representatives regarding the Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Seaford and Wantagh train stations. Although the LIRR is a state, and not a county, authority, Leg. Denenberg provides these forums to address issues raised by commuters. Personnel from the MTA Long Island Railroad will be Legislator Denenberg’s guests to discuss the stations, LIRR service, the LIRR’s responses to past requests by Denenberg and commuters and to respond to questions.