A gas leak prompted an evacuation but caused no harm to any students in a Wantagh elementary school Tuesday, reported Newsday.
Mandalay Elementary School was evacuated at about 8:30 a.m. after a report of a gas leak nearby, National Grid spokeswoman Wendy Ladd told Newsday.
After opening the building for students, fire officials and National Grid were called when a custodian smelled gas, said the report.
"The small group of before-school students and staff who were in the building were briefly evacuated while authorities inspected the entire school," Superintendent Maureen Goldberg told Newsday.
The evacuation lasted about 30 minutes, said the report.Crews reportedly replaced a faulty regulator, the cause of the leak, Tuesday night after it was shut down during the day so students could safely return to class, the report said.