Seaford district officials are planning to continue new security measures put in place last month following the tragic Connecticut school shooting and will consider strengthening them for next year’s budget.
In the aftermath of the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. that left 26 people dead including 20 children, Seaford Superintendent Brian Conboy announced that access to the district’s four buildings would be limited to visitors. This included limiting parent participation in holiday activities held the last week before winter vacation commenced and having only one entrance at each building available for visitors to access.
Seaford Board of Education trustees explained during their Jan. 3 meeting reasons for the additional security measures and how they may be enhanced or relaxed going forward. Brian Fagan, president of the Seaford school board, said during budget planning for the 2013/14 school year, additional features like buzz entry into buildings will be explored.
“Something happened and we took action and I think it was the appropriate thing to do,” said Fagan of the district’s response to the Connecticut school tragedy. “Seaford is not going to be complacent.”
Like Wantagh-Seaford Patch on Facebook.
Conboy said the district will be communicating any additional district safety protocols related to buildings that is put in place.
“It is necessary for all schools and all districts to put responsible things in place to prevent horrible tragedies from occurring,” Conboy said. “Ultimately keeping your children safe is our number one priority."
The National Rife Association proposed on Dec. 21 having armed guards at every school in America but Conboy responded with criticism to the idea saying, "more control over the distribution and possession of weapons coupled with better identification and care for the mentally ill will have a positive and longer lasting impact in my view."