Here's a look at the top stories of 2013:
- The debate over the common Core standards and high stakes testing ran throughout 2013 and will continue into the new year. The Wantagh School District passed a resolution in December asking the state to reconsider their reliance on testing.
- Tragedy struck the Seaford School District after a high school student died in February during a class trip to Southern California. The family of the sophomore later announced a lawsuit.
- Just a months after graduating for the Wantagh School District, Peter Mountanos was elected to the school board.
- After a decades long fight, Seaford Harbor School got financial backing from the Nassau County for a new access road.
- Seaford Manor School got a new playground after winning a contest.
- Wantagh started its full day kindergarten program.
- Seaford teachers came to an agreement with the district freezing salaries to avoid staff cuts.